I am grateful to have a program I can use to help me grow through life’s challenges. I no longer regret being an alcoholic since it is through my alcoholism that I have been able to grow and integrate a wonderful set of principles into sobriety stories my life. I couldn’t sleep without passing out into unconsciousness — which was now happening early in the evening — only to awaken in the same state of withdrawal again. I managed to crawl in the dark to huddle over the commode.
- I began to drink at home, frequently wondering the next morning how there could be so many empty beer cans on the counter.
- Creating visual reminders of quotes, like writing them on a sticky note or saving them as your phone background, is a great way to integrate inspiration into your daily life.
- It’s a journey with real-life challenges, victories, lessons, and inspiring personal stories.
- I rarely participated in the children’s activities.
- When your thoughts become negative, recognize that they are just thoughts, not reality.
You do things to facilitate drug use that you would never have done otherwise, and your friends and family may start to feel like they don’t even know you anymore. Recovery is a lifelong journey of self-discovery, growth, and transformation. Managing addiction requires you to make a thousand different changes in yourself, in your outlook, and in your environment. The person you are at the start of addiction treatment is completely different from the person you’ll become after ten years of sobriety—but it’s still YOU who will make that transformation happen.
Rehabs near you
Staying sober on a daily basis, we experience our full range of emotions. Naturally, there will be times of worry, hardship, boredom, anger and sadness to add to the mix of joy, contentment, freedom and gratitude. Resilience, the ability to bounce back despite adversity, is key in addiction recovery.
I eased back into work with a lower level of responsibility, able to focus more on myself and my recovery program. Over time I was able to take on more work responsibilities. I have become a better and more compassionate physician than I ever was before.
Know that tomorrow is a new day:
We carried on this long-distance relationship for over five years before we were married during the summer before my third year of medical school. While we were dating, I kept the quantity of my alcohol and most of my substance use a secret from her. In one life I was the good student and boyfriend turned fiancé, and in the other I was the unfaithful drunk pothead. When she would catch me getting high, she would be irate and I would promise to abstain, only to use as soon as I dropped her off at her parents’ house.
- I would never use the same liquor store twice in the same week to avoid potential criticism by the sales clerk of the quantity I was consuming.
- I underwent a reversal of the vasectomy, and soon thereafter, my wife was pregnant with our third healthy child.
- Some people cannot stop drinking without professional help and intervention.
- She was being raised in an old world male-dominated society.
- Sobriety quotes can compliment a persons sobriety but they are not enough on their own to keep a person sober, or indeed to help them to get sober from alcohol.
I had a brief extramarital affair that lasted a couple of days while I was on vacation in 2003. It all happened while the children played together outside on the beach. They asked me if I had a problem with alcohol, which I flat out denied. I told them that I sometimes would drink quite a lot on weekends, but that it was something I could control. They offered help if I needed it, but I wasn’t ready yet.